2007/02/16

Fitted sheet and solid shell stitch potholder

I had little progress on knitting this week. I'm knitting front of Electra, left side of armhole-to-shoulder shape. Right side has finished. The rib for neck and sleeves are supposed to knit with Yorkshire tweed, but i have only small ball left. I might be have to blend some other similar to make sufficient length. Since i noticed this problem, i became to feel lazy to knit Electra. And stripe sock has much less progress.

I was busy sewing fitted sheet this week. I am very novice at sewing and have already made terrible mistake when i cut the fabric. "Haste is waste" is true. I take the width of the fabric wrong and that was the cause. I cut too much. I lost all my motivation for sewing fitted sheet when noticed the mistake, but can't throw this darling linen fabric away, because i decided to make my sheet as soon as i opened the grab back. So, i applied a patch at missing area. Actually, It wasn't worse than I expected, this patched is on the side of mattress and unremarkable. I followed the instruction found on the web, and finished up. As soon as i sewed the last end of elastic, i ran into bedroom and covered without taking off existing one, and what i found on the mattress was very loose covering opposite to what i expected. I lost motivation again. I left it alone for a while until my motivation backs enough, and finally i added extra elastic at both longer side, resulting much better fitted sheet! Yay! I am not sure why it couldn't be sharply fitted sheet, maybe inexperience and the narrow depth of mattress? I will add another extra elastic at short sides if i have a chance. After all those hard efforts, i get fabulous linen fitted sheet. Next will be pillow cases for me, DH, and DS.



Beside knitting and sewing, i crocheted this potholder with leftover cotton yarn. It took only 2 nights. The source for the pattern is Japanese book, and the author referred this pattern as "solid shell pattern".


As I obediently followed the weight of yarn and hook size, the resulted fabric is just as it supposed to be. It's very thin and the corners curls when i hang it on the hook, look very helpless itself. I tried it when i boiled water in a kettle, i confirmed there is no problem for potholder. The potholder was really in need at the moment, so i am very glad. I found many other cute patterns on the book, but i have to keep in mind that my DH also use them. I am not sure if DH will use this white one. I might have to make another simple unisex one soon.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Welcome back! Jun/Trico told me you were blogging again. I am very happy to see you!

littlestitch said...

Hi, Mariko! I'm glad to see you again here. Did you enjoyed traveling japan last year? BTW, I must check your pillowcase 101 later ;)